Harry Potter is arguably one of the greatest young adult fiction series of all. So much so that it was made into a movie franchise – opening up the world of wizarding to a whole other audience. But, what is it about Harry himself that makes him so special? What is the most powerful spell of all? Is Harry the number one wizard or are there more powerful wizards out there? And what is Harry’s ultimate goal? If you’d like to explore the world of wizarding further, read on and we’ll share some magical secrets with you.
Why is Harry Potter so special?
What was it about Harry Potter that made him so special? The list is long. For one thing, both of Harry’s parents were exceptionally gifted wizards. For example:
- His mother was very much like Hermione Granger in that she was a brilliant and studious person who had to work very hard for her gifts.
- His father on the other hand was naturally good at everything.
When they both conceived Harry, it was clear that he was going to grow up to be a very special child indeed.
This, of course, became all the more apparent when Voldemort attacks and kills his parents, and then tried to kill him as a baby, but failed.
Another thing that makes Harry Potter so special is all of the hardship that he endured as a young boy. His aunt and uncle were terrible people – as was that snot-curdling git of a cousin of his.
They put poor Harry through enough torment to turn any decent person into a cruel and angry person, however, Harry never let his hardships tarnish his soul. Rather than allow his anger, sadness, and loneliness to manifest into something dark, he instead used them to fuel his trajectory – shaping him into a brave, intelligent, and enduring young man.
Is Harry Potter the strongest wizard?
Contrary to what you might imagine, despite being the protagonist of the story, Harry Potter isn’t the strongest wizard. Or at least, not yet.
Indeed, the strongest wizard in the wizarding world is: Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore (aka Professor Dumbledore).
While Harry is a gifted wizard, Hermione is almost certainly stronger. However, Harry is pure of heart which is what made him so special.
But of course…we all know that Gandalf of The Lord of the Rings would be ol’ Albus Dumbledore in a showdown.
What’s the most powerful spell in Harry Potter?
There are many powerful spells in the Harry Potter universe, but there is one in particular that stands out from the rest. It is known as the Killing Curse.
The Killing Curse is widely considered as being one of the most terrible curses in all of the wizarding world (if not the worst), and is one of the three ‘Unforgiveable Curses’.
This abhorrent spell kills a person instantaneously without any injury. As such, anyone who dares use it will be subject to a life sentence in the prison of Azkaban (which is not somewhere you’d want to spend half an hour, let alone the rest of your life).
The following words are used by the witch or wizard evil enough to use the Killing Curse: “Avada Kedavra.”
Speak them with care.
The three ‘Unforgiveable Curses’ are:
- Imperius Curse: The Imperius Curse forces the victim to obey the commands of the caster. Unlike the Killing and Cruciatus Curse, it is possible to counter the Imperius Curse, though only the most skilled of wizards and witches are able to.
- Cruciatus Cruse: The Cruciatus Curse is a spell that causes excruciating amounts of pain on the victim. In some cases, this can be considered worse than the Killing Curse as it is a cruel and torturous spell indeed. Bellatrix Lestrange and three other of Lord Voldemort’s Death Eaters used this very curse on the parents of Neville Longbottom, torturing them so cruelly and thoroughly that it drove them both into an irreversible state of madness.
- Killing Curse: And the Killing Curse, as mentioned above, which only one known living wizard has ever survived! You guessed it…Harry Potter!
If you’re feeling especially naughty and fancy trying out some forbidden magic spells of your own, click here and see if you can find a magic wand that fits you!
What is Harry Potter’s main goal?
While Harry Potter didn’t necessarily know this from the very beginning, his main goal would ultimately be to defeat Voldemort and his treacherous Death Eaters.
Certainly, Harry gets dragged into many different subplots, including fights with his best friend, numerous romantic entanglements, and a plethora of other incidents with the secondary characters of the book, however, it remains clear that ultimately, Harry’s true test would be the eventual showdown with “he who shall not be named”: Voldemort.
As for his personal goals—and not what Harry Potter felt duty-bound to do—we think he just wanted to find happiness.
For his entire childhood he was alienated, alone, used, and unloved. Having never had the chance to know his parents, all Harry really wanted was to find some people he could call family, rely on, and love.
Fortunately, the wonderful Ron (and all of the other Weasley’s who very much took Harry in as their own) and Hermione were the first to call him a friend – including a plethora of other wonderful characters who would grow to love him along the way.
Are you an adventurous type like Harry, Ron, and Hermione? If so, click here and stock up on some Harry Potter handbags and other supplies to help you along the way!
- Harry is special for a wide variety of reasons, namely his unwavering decency, and the fact that he alone is the one who can defeat Voldemort.
- The strongest wizard is Albus Dumbledore.
- The most powerful spell is the Killing Curse: Avada Kedavra.
- Harry’s main goal was to defeat Voldemort…and to find love.
Love the Harry Potter franchise? If so, you should consider starting a collection of your own! You’ll find plenty of Official Geek Merch out there to get you started!